Traders' Mental Blind Spots: How Hidden Flaws in Your Decision-Making Affect Your Trading
Wednesday, January 13, 2016 14:30 MST » 16:30 EST
Do you ever wonder why a perfectly good trade setup failed or how you thought a trade couldn't work but did? All traders have blind spots in their thinking that seem correct at the time but turn out to be woefully flawed. Psychologists call them cognitive biases and heuristics. These create not only poor judgments but trading losses, and traders don't even realize they are making detrimental choices.
In this presentation Dr. Gary Dayton, trader, psychologist and author of Trade Mindfully will teach you some of the common mental blind spots and how to address them for better trading performance.
About Our Speaker
Dr. Gary Dayton stands apart as a trading psychologist in his use of the Mindfulness-Acceptance-Commitment approach to peak performance, a model of human behavior based on cutting-edge psychological research. He is the author of Trade Mindfully: Achieve Your Optimum Trading Performance with Mindfulness and Cutting Edge Psychology, published by Wiley Trading Series in January 2015. In Trade Mindfully, Dr. Dayton integrates mindfulness and sport psychology to show traders how to overcome fear and other difficult emotions, keep attention on what really matters in a trade, and how to systematically develop their mental and technical trading skills to enhance their trading performance.
Dr. Dayton is a trading psychologist, trader and trading educator. He is an expert in the Wyckoff Method of analysis and chart reading in which the technical aspects of the market are read with price bars and volume. Dr. Dayton teaches traders mindfulness and other cutting-edge mental skills at TradingPsychologyEdge.com. He also teaches advanced trading skills through "Deep Practice" - a weekly on-line training where traders elevate their chart reading and psychological trading skills.
Dr. Dayton is a licensed psychologist in Connecticut and New York and holds a doctorate in clinical psychology and a certificate in human performance/sport psychology from Rutgers University, Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology. He is President of Peak Psychology, Inc., a consulting firm that specializes in developing peak performance in traders. Dr. Dayton's website is www.TradingPsychologyEdge.com.
List of Clients and Speaking Engagements
The following is a partial list of Dr. Dayton's clients and recent presentations:
- Las Vegas, Dallas, and New York Expos
- Fear no longer: How to finally take control of the mental side of the game
- Reading the market bar-by-bar: Market understanding without Indicators for a true trading edge
- Articles for Expo Resource Directories: Using price and volume to identify accumulation
- Seven steps to becoming a great trader
- Trading psychology: How to overcome fear following heavy losses
MoneyShow.com Video Network
- Mindfulness and trading
- Traders can get into 'the zone,' too
- Four mental keys for better trading
- Why all traders should keep a journal
- Stress reduction tips for traders
- Tame your trading ego
- Push your trading to the limit
- Easy ways to sabotage your trading
- Denver Trading Forum (with Jack Schwager, Steve Nison, and others)
- Topic: Mastering the Wyckoff Method: Simple ways to leverage market response
- (presentation also released as a DVD by Traders' Library)
Denver Trading Group
- "Continuing Education for Traders Series" - Denver
- Topics: Wyckoff in the modern markets
- Taking the fear out of trading
Association for Technical Analysis - Dallas
- "AFTA Special Trading Workshop"
- "AFTA Masters Weekend" (with Linda Raschke and Hank Pruden, Ph.D).
- Market structure bar-by-bar
- Turning fear into profits
- Specifying trade setups: Wyckoff springs & upthrusts
- Interview (with Drs. Brett Steenbarger and Doug Hirschorn):How to overcome the fear of pulling the trigger on a trade
- Webinar: Fear no longer: How to finally take control of the mental side of the game
Stocks, Futures and Options Magazine
- "Webinar Series"
- Fear not: A mindful perspective for traders
- Essentials of a professional trading plan
- Take control of your trading: Focus on high-value actions
- Reading the market by its own action: The Wyckoff Method
TradeGuider Systems, Ltd.
- "VSA Summit" - San Francisco
- "Traders' Boot Camp" - Chicago
- "Wyckoff Rediscovered" - West Palm Beach, Florida
- "International Wyckoff Road Show" - London, Chicago, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur & Sidney
VSA Club - various webinars
- Constructing a professional trading plan
- Finding trades with Wyckoff & VSA principles
- Case study of Goldman Sachs
- A Wyckoff/VSA assessment of the S&P 500 since the March 2009 Low
- Trading psychology for VSA traders
- Building trader confidence & minimizing fear
- Wyckoff in the modern markets
- VSA Club Live Trading Room: Live trading S&P e-mini futures
- Webinar: Essentials of a professional trading plan
LTG Trading, Inc.
- "Wyckoff Live!" conferences - Ft. Lauderdale, Florida & Chicago
- Developing a trading psychology edge
- The psychological development of the trader
Amount of historical data varies from 30 days to 14 years depending on the membership you choose.